An Air France flight bound for Detroit was diverted to Montreal on Wednesday after U.S. authorities blocked it from entering American airspace over concerns about a passenger from the Democratic Republic of Congo and the ongoing Ebola outbreak in Africa.
Air France Flight 378 had been scheduled to land at Detroit Metro Wayne County Airport late Wednesday afternoon. Instead, it was rerouted to Montreal Trudeau International Airport following intervention by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Officials said the decision stemmed from entry restrictions designed to limit the risk of Ebola transmission.
A CBP spokesperson told CBS News that the passenger should not have been allowed to board. “Due to entry restrictions put in place to reduce the risk of the Ebola virus, the passenger should not have boarded the plane,” the spokesperson said. “CBP took decisive action and prohibited the flight carrying that traveler from landing at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, and instead, diverted to Montreal, Canada.”
Air France confirmed the diversion occurred at the request of U.S. authorities. An airline spokesperson told WXYZ that the carrier complied with all entry requirements. “Air France confirms that, at the request of US authorities, Flight AF378 was diverted to Montreal Airport after a Congolese passenger on board was denied entry into the United States,” the spokesperson said. “There was no medical emergency on board, and like all airlines, Air France is required to comply with the entry requirements of the countries it serves.”
The flight was operating in conjunction with Delta Airlines at the time of the route change. No passengers or crew reported any health issues during the journey, according to statements from both the airline and U.S. officials.
The incident follows new measures implemented Monday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Department of Homeland Security. Those steps include enhanced screening and restricted entry for travelers who have visited affected regions in Eastern and Central Africa. A new DHS requirement set to begin Thursday will direct flights carrying passengers from the Congo, Uganda, and South Sudan to land only at Washington-Dulles International Airport in Virginia.
The Democratic Republic of Congo is currently reporting 600 suspected Ebola cases and 139 deaths, according to Reuters. Fifty-one cases have been confirmed in the country, with at least two additional cases reported in neighboring Uganda. World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus noted that the figures are expected to rise. “We know the scale of the epidemic is much larger,” Ghebreyesus said. “Beyond the confirmed cases, there are almost 600 suspected cases and 139 suspected. We expect those numbers to keep increasing.”
Ghebreyesus added that while the risk of global spread remains low, the outbreak poses significant challenges for the region. Health authorities continue to monitor the situation closely as new protocols take effect.
Passengers on the diverted flight were expected to undergo additional screening upon arrival in Montreal before any onward travel arrangements could be made. U.S. officials have not released further details about the individual passenger who prompted the diversion.
