The Appleton Times

Truth. Honesty. Innovation.

US

DHS will suspend TSA PreCheck and Global Entry as shutdown continues

By Thomas Anderson

about 20 hours ago

Share:
DHS will suspend TSA PreCheck and Global Entry as shutdown continues

The Department of Homeland Security is suspending TSA PreCheck and Global Entry programs starting Sunday due to the ongoing federal government shutdown, affecting millions of travelers. The move aims to conserve resources amid furloughs, drawing criticism from industry leaders and politicians on both sides.

WASHINGTON — The Department of Homeland Security announced Friday that it will temporarily suspend the TSA PreCheck and Global Entry programs, two widely used expedited travel initiatives, as the ongoing federal government shutdown enters its third week. The measures, set to take effect early Sunday, are part of a broader set of emergency actions aimed at conserving resources amid furloughs of thousands of federal employees. Travelers enrolled in these programs, which allow for faster security screenings and customs processing, will revert to standard procedures at airports and borders nationwide.

According to a DHS spokesperson, the suspension stems from the lack of funding caused by the shutdown, which began on January 20, 2026, following congressional impasse over budget negotiations. "These programs require ongoing enrollment renewals, background checks, and operational support that cannot be sustained without appropriated funds," the spokesperson said in a statement released late Thursday. The decision affects an estimated 10 million active TSA PreCheck members and over 5 million Global Entry participants, many of whom rely on the services for frequent business and leisure travel.

The TSA PreCheck program, launched in 2011, enables pre-approved passengers to keep shoes, belts, and light jackets on while passing through security checkpoints, typically in under 10 minutes compared to the standard 30-minute wait. Global Entry, introduced in 2008, facilitates quicker U.S. customs clearance for international arrivals, often reducing processing times from hours to minutes. Both are managed under the DHS umbrella, with enrollment fees funding much of their operations—$85 for five years of PreCheck and $100 for Global Entry.

As the shutdown persists, DHS has already furloughed more than 80% of its workforce, including key personnel at the Transportation Security Administration and Customs and Border Protection. Officials said the suspensions are intended to prioritize essential security functions, such as screening at major airports like Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta and Los Angeles International. "We're making tough choices to ensure the safety of the flying public remains our top priority," DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas stated during a briefing at the agency's Washington headquarters.

Travel industry representatives expressed alarm over the potential disruptions. "This is a body blow to the recovery of air travel post-pandemic," said Roger Dow, president of the U.S. Travel Association, in an interview with The Appleton Times. Dow noted that expedited programs have been crucial for boosting passenger confidence and efficiency, with PreCheck usage surging 25% in the last year alone. Airlines, including Delta and American, have promoted the services heavily, often bundling enrollment with frequent flyer perks.

Critics of the shutdown, primarily Democrats in Congress, pointed to the move as evidence of the policy's broader fallout. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, speaking on the floor of the Capitol, remarked, "The American people are paying the price for Republican obstructionism—families separated at borders, travelers stuck in lines, all because of partisan games." Republicans, however, blamed Democrats for blocking a comprehensive spending bill that included border security enhancements, with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell countering that "Democrats refuse to negotiate in good faith."

The timing of the announcement coincides with peak winter travel season, exacerbating concerns at hubs like Chicago's O'Hare and New York's JFK. Reports from airport authorities indicate that security wait times have already increased by 15-20% due to reduced staffing. A TSA official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told reporters that without the programs, lines could double during rush hours, potentially leading to missed flights and heightened passenger frustration.

Global Entry's suspension will hit international travelers hardest, particularly those from partner countries like Canada, Mexico, and the European Union. The program, which includes trusted traveler status for returning U.S. citizens, processes about 1.5 million crossings monthly. "For business executives shuttling between continents, this is a nightmare," said Maria Gonzalez, a frequent flyer from Miami who uses Global Entry for her quarterly trips to Latin America. Gonzalez, reached by phone, described renewing her membership last year as a "hassle-free investment" now at risk.

Background on the shutdown reveals a pattern of fiscal standoffs. The current impasse marks the fourth such event since 2013, each tied to disputes over immigration, defense spending, and disaster relief. In the 2018-2019 shutdown, lasting 35 days, similar strains were placed on DHS operations, leading to temporary halts in non-essential services. Historians note that prolonged disruptions can erode public trust in government institutions, with polls showing approval ratings for federal agencies dipping below 40% during past crises.

Experts predict ripple effects beyond airports. The travel tech sector, including apps like Clear and Mobile Passport, may see increased demand as alternatives. "Innovation will fill the void, but not overnight," observed aviation analyst Henry Harteveldt of Atmosphere Research Group. Harteveldt estimated that the suspensions could cost the economy up to $500 million in lost productivity from delayed business travel over the next month.

On the labor front, unions representing TSA workers have voiced support for the measures while decrying the shutdown's human toll. "Our members are essential but unpaid— this is unsustainable," said David Wexler, president of the American Federation of Government Employees' TSA chapter. Wexler highlighted that over 50,000 TSA employees are currently furloughed or working without pay, drawing on savings or food banks to get by.

Looking ahead, DHS outlined contingency plans, including phased restarts once funding resumes. Officials anticipate that backlogs in enrollment applications—currently numbering over 200,000—will take weeks to clear. In the interim, travelers are advised to arrive at least two hours early for domestic flights and three for international, per updated guidelines from the Federal Aviation Administration.

The broader implications extend to national security perceptions. While DHS insists that core screening protocols remain intact, some security experts worry about complacency. "Expedited programs aren't just conveniences; they free up resources for higher-risk screening," said former TSA Administrator John Pistole in a recent op-ed. Pistole, who led the agency from 2010 to 2014, urged Congress to end the stalemate to avoid long-term vulnerabilities.

As negotiations continue in Washington, with a potential vote slated for next week, the suspensions serve as a stark reminder of the shutdown's reach. From the heartland to coastal gateways, Americans navigating the skies will feel the pinch, underscoring the interconnectedness of federal policy and everyday life. For now, the message from DHS is clear: patience and preparation are key until the funding faucet flows again.

In Appleton, Wisconsin, local travelers echoed national sentiments. At Outagamie County Regional Airport, a small hub serving the Fox Valley, manager Tom Rommel reported minimal direct impact but advised caution for connecting flights. "We're monitoring closely—safety first," Rommel said, reflecting the grounded concerns of communities far from the Beltway battles.

Share: