The Appleton Times

Truth. Honesty. Innovation.

Sports

Russia's Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory

By Thomas Anderson

about 24 hours ago

Share:
Russia's Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory

Russian President Putin accused Ukraine of striking a student dormitory in occupied Starobilsk, killing six and vowing retaliation, while Ukraine claimed the target was a Russian drone unit headquarters. The incident is part of ongoing mutual strikes in the conflict.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has vowed retaliation after accusing Ukraine of striking a student dormitory in the occupied eastern Ukrainian town of Starobilsk, an attack that killed six people and left 39 others injured according to Russian officials. Fifteen people remain missing following the overnight strike in the Luhansk region, Putin said during a reception at his Kremlin residence on Friday. The Russian leader described the incident as targeting civilians with no military facilities nearby and ordered his military to prepare proposals for a response.

Putin stated that the strike involved three waves of attacks using 16 drones. "There are no military facilities, intelligence service facilities, or related services in the vicinity," he said. "Therefore, there is absolutely no basis for claiming that the munitions struck the building as a result of our air defence or electronic warfare systems." Russian state-run television later showed footage of one injured student identified as 19-year-old Diana Shovkun, who suffered head injuries from a collapsing concrete slab.

Ukraine's military offered a sharply different account of the same operation. Officials in Kyiv said the target was the headquarters of Russia's elite Rubicon drone military unit in Starobilsk, accusing the unit of regularly striking civilian areas inside Ukraine. The statement emphasized that Ukrainian forces were damaging military infrastructure while adhering to international humanitarian law and the laws of war. It remains unclear whether the building struck was the same one identified by Russian authorities as a student dormitory.

Early reports from the scene indicated that the attack occurred overnight, with Russian officials providing casualty figures but showing no images or videos of those killed. Putin described the strike as unjustified and directed his military to develop options for retaliation. The incident comes amid ongoing exchanges of long-range strikes between the two sides in the more than two-year conflict that began with Russia's full-scale invasion in 2022.

Separate incidents were reported in southern Russia on the same night. Russian officials said two people were injured when falling drone debris triggered a fire at an oil depot in the Black Sea port of Novorossiysk. Several technical and administrative buildings caught fire at a fuel terminal, according to the general headquarters of the southern Krasnodar region. Additional drone fragments damaged private homes in the nearby port city of Anapa, though no deaths were reported in those locations.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky provided further context earlier in the week when he announced that Ukrainian forces had struck the headquarters of Russia's FSB security service in the Moscow-controlled area of southern Kherson region. He said approximately 100 Russian occupiers were killed or injured in that operation. Moscow has not officially commented on the Kherson strike, though one pro-Kremlin Telegram channel reported casualties following what it described as a massive drone attack.

Ukraine has repeatedly accused Russian forces of deliberately targeting civilians since the start of the full-scale invasion, a charge that Moscow consistently denies. Last week Ukrainian officials reported that 24 people, including three girls, were killed when a Russian missile destroyed part of a high-rise residential building in the capital Kyiv. Those accusations have continued alongside Ukrainian strikes on Russian military targets in occupied territories.

The conflicting accounts of the Starobilsk strike highlight the challenges of verifying events in contested areas. Russian authorities maintain that the building was purely residential and used by students, while Ukrainian statements frame it as a legitimate military headquarters. No independent verification of the building's use has been reported at this time.

Putin made his comments at a formal reception in Moscow, where he emphasized the need for a measured but firm response. He directed military commanders to submit detailed proposals on how Russia should proceed. The remarks came as both sides continue to exchange drone and missile strikes across multiple regions.

Additional details emerged from Russian state media coverage of the injured student. Diana Shovkun was shown receiving treatment after being struck by falling concrete, according to the broadcast report. The coverage did not include images of the fatalities, focusing instead on the survivor's account of the collapse.

The broader pattern of strikes reflects the ongoing intensity of the conflict. Ukrainian forces have targeted Russian military infrastructure in occupied areas, while Russia has conducted attacks on Ukrainian cities and energy facilities. Each side continues to present its actions as responses to the other's aggression.

Officials in both countries have not indicated any immediate de-escalation following the latest exchange. Putin’s call for retaliation proposals suggests further Russian action could follow in the coming days, though the specific form of that response remains unspecified. Ukrainian statements have continued to stress adherence to international law in their operations against military targets.

Share: