The situation at Ukraine's Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant is approaching a critical threshold, according to the head of Russia's state nuclear corporation Rosatom. Alexei Likhachev warned on Monday that the facility, Europe's largest with six reactors, is nearing what he described as the "point of no return" amid ongoing attacks in the area.
Likhachev, quoted by Russian media, called for immediate de-escalation efforts across Europe. "We are getting closer and closer to the point of no return, and all of Europe now needs to expend efforts to de-escalate the situation around the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant," he said. He added that such actions amount to "playing with fire" and pose particular risks to Eastern European countries.
The Russia-installed management at the plant reported that Ukrainian forces had launched attacks on the facility for the third consecutive day. A statement posted on Telegram indicated that the latest drone strike caused no injuries or damage to key facilities, and operations continued normally despite the incidents.
Plant officials also noted that monitors from the International Atomic Energy Agency had been shown evidence of damage from an earlier incident on Sunday. According to the management, Ukrainian shelling struck a transport workshop during that event.
The Zaporizhzhia plant holds about 2,600 metric tons of nuclear fuel, Likhachev said. Although the facility is not currently generating electricity, it must maintain operations to ensure the fuel remains cooled and safe.
Russian forces seized the plant in the initial weeks following the Kremlin's February 2022 invasion of Ukraine. Since then, both sides have repeatedly accused each other of military activities that could endanger nuclear safety at the site.
Officials emphasized that the plant's continued functioning is essential for preventing potential hazards. The presence of such a large quantity of nuclear material underscores the stakes involved in any escalation around the facility, located in Russian-held territory in southern Ukraine.
International observers, including the IAEA, have maintained a presence at the plant to monitor conditions. Their verification of reported damage from recent incidents provides an independent check on claims made by plant management.
Regional concerns have grown as tensions persist. Likhachev highlighted the broader implications for neighboring countries, urging collective action to prevent further deterioration.
Background on the conflict shows that the Zaporizhzhia plant has been a focal point since early in the war. Control of the site has shifted hands, leading to ongoing disputes over responsibility for security and maintenance.
Reports from the area indicate that attacks have targeted infrastructure near the plant, though details on the exact nature of the strikes vary depending on the source. Russian statements attribute the incidents to Ukrainian forces, while Ukrainian officials have countered with their own accusations in previous exchanges.
The plant's operational status remains a key factor in assessments of nuclear safety. With no electricity production underway, the focus stays on cooling systems and fuel storage to avoid any risk of overheating or release of radioactive materials.
Experts and officials continue to monitor developments closely. The IAEA's role in documenting incidents helps provide a neutral record amid conflicting narratives from the involved parties.
As the situation evolves, calls for restraint have intensified from various quarters. The warning from Rosatom's leadership reflects heightened alarm over the potential for irreversible consequences if attacks persist.
Future developments at the site will likely depend on diplomatic efforts and military de-escalation in the surrounding region. Both Russia and Ukraine have maintained their positions on the incidents, with each side pointing to the other as the source of the threats.