A chaotic brawl erupted inside a Chipotle restaurant in Washington, D.C.'s Navy Yard neighborhood over the weekend, as a group of teenagers turned the eatery into a scene of flying furniture and punches, according to videos shared widely online.
Witness footage captured youths in all-black outfits and medical masks vaulting over one another and swinging an abandoned highchair as a weapon while others screamed and scattered. One teen reportedly struck another over the head with the highchair as a young girl sought safety in her father's arms nearby.
The disturbance unfolded just days after federal prosecutors announced plans to hold parents accountable for similar incidents of youth disorder in the city. Videos show girls gathered outside the restaurant, some laughing and others shrieking as chairs sailed through the air.
"Oh my f–king God, bro, damn!" one girl could be heard cackling in the footage before police lights appeared and she yelled, "The police! Oh, we gotta go!"
It remains unclear whether any arrests were made during the Chipotle incident or the precise date it occurred. The event highlights ongoing challenges with groups of minors gathering in public spaces across the District.
U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro stated on Friday that her office intends to prosecute parents who fail to supervise minors involved in such disruptions. "We’re going to charge them, and if you drop your kid off and you fail to supervise them or you let them skip school to join the chaos, you are going to face fines, court-ordered classes and possible jail time," Pirro said.
Parents could face up to six months in jail on charges of contributing to the delinquency of a minor under the approach outlined by Pirro. "This sends a clear message to the parents that you must supervise your kids or face criminal consequences," she added.
The announcement comes amid efforts to address repeated "teen takeovers" in areas like the Navy Yard. Officials imposed a Juvenile Curfew Zone in early April to limit such gatherings, though several incidents have still taken place since then.
Community leaders have expressed skepticism about federal involvement in these cases. Nic Wilson, an Advisory Neighborhood Commissioner for part of the Navy Yard, told WJLA that local issues require different solutions. "Policing and putting people in jail is actually kind of how we got to where we’re at now. There’s no one at home because they got locked up and thrown in jail. We’re not going to police our way out of this situation," Wilson said.
Residents and officials have noted that similar events have occurred in the neighborhood before, with four teens arrested in one incident shortly after the curfew began. Pirro indicated her office would start charging parents over the weekend following the announcement.
The videos from the Chipotle location show some participants retreating once furniture began to be used as projectiles. The masked youths largely wore matching dark clothing, making individual identification difficult from the shared clips.
Broader discussions in the community center on the balance between enforcement measures and addressing root causes of youth gatherings. Officials have pointed to the need for parental oversight as a key factor in preventing further public disturbances.
Authorities continue to monitor the situation in the Navy Yard and surrounding areas as part of ongoing efforts to maintain order. The recent federal pledge adds a new layer to local responses that have included curfews and increased police presence.
