The Appleton Times

Truth. Honesty. Innovation.

Sports

Trump and Netanyahu diverge on Iran war’s future in tense phone call

By Thomas Anderson

about 17 hours ago

Share:
Trump and Netanyahu diverge on Iran war’s future in tense phone call

Trump and Netanyahu clashed over Iran strategy in a Tuesday call, with Trump favoring diplomacy after pausing strikes and Netanyahu pushing for resumed military action. The leaders' differing views highlight ongoing tensions amid Gulf-mediated talks.

President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a tense phone conversation on Tuesday that highlighted their differing approaches to the ongoing conflict with Iran, according to a U.S. official who spoke to CNN. The discussion came amid shifting U.S. plans for military action and ongoing diplomatic efforts involving Gulf nations.

The leaders had spoken just days earlier on Sunday, when Trump indicated he was likely to proceed with new targeted strikes on Iran early in the week. Those operations had reportedly been slated to carry the name Operation Sledgehammer. However, roughly 24 hours after that call, Trump announced he was pausing the strikes at the request of allies in the Gulf, including Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

In the days that followed, those Gulf countries maintained close contact with the White House and Pakistani mediators to develop a framework for further diplomatic talks, the U.S. official and another person familiar with the situation said. Trump addressed reporters on Wednesday morning, stating, “We’re in the final stages of Iran. We’ll see what happens.”

He continued with a mix of optimism and warning. “We’ll either have a deal or we’re going to do some things that are a little bit nasty,” Trump said. “But hopefully that won’t happen.” The remarks reflected his preference for exploring a diplomatic path even as military options remained on the table.

Netanyahu has long pushed for a more aggressive stance toward Tehran, arguing that delays only benefit Iran, according to Trump officials and Israeli sources. During the hour-long Tuesday call, the Israeli leader expressed disappointment and told Trump that halting the expected attacks was a mistake, urging him to continue as originally planned, the U.S. official said.

An Israeli source familiar with the matter added that Netanyahu pressed for a resumption of military action. The divergence was clear: Trump wants to see if a deal can be reached, but Netanyahu was expecting something else, an Israeli official said. CNN has reached out to the White House for comment, while Axios first reported on the tense exchange.

Frustration extended beyond Netanyahu to officials around him, another Israeli source told CNN. There is a strong desire in the upper echelons of the Israeli government for renewed military action and mounting frustration that Trump is continuing to allow what they describe as Iran’s diplomatic foot-dragging.

This tension is not entirely new. Netanyahu has previously expressed frustration with U.S. approaches that involve strong threats followed by pauses, sources familiar with past conversations said. U.S. officials have acknowledged differing objectives between the two countries regarding the conflict.

When asked what he told the prime minister the night before, Trump suggested he remained in control. “He’ll do whatever I want him to do,” the president said on Wednesday. Despite the pressure from Netanyahu, Trump has continued to emphasize diplomacy, claiming that things with Iran are “right on the borderline” and that it is worth giving talks a few more days if it saves lives.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson said Wednesday that Tehran and Washington have continued to exchange messages through Pakistan. It remains unclear whether key gaps between the sides have narrowed. Iran has not backed away from its core demands, and issues around its nuclear program and frozen assets had remained unresolved earlier this week, a regional source said.

Trump has repeatedly signaled that military action is still an option. “If we don’t get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We’re all ready to go,” he said Wednesday. The situation continues to evolve as mediators work to bridge differences and both leaders weigh their next steps.

Broader implications include the potential for renewed escalation if diplomacy falters, with officials on both sides monitoring developments closely. The phone call underscores longstanding differences in strategy between Washington and Jerusalem on how best to address Iranian threats.

Share: